Tuesday, 20 October 2009

A jar, a door, ajar.

Until I decided to apply WD-40 to the hinges, all the doors in the flat stayed open by themselves. Admittedly, this isn't ideal for fire doors, which are supposed to protect me in the event of a conflagration. However solving one problem often creates a new one, and now my doors will not stay open. What to do?

Let's be honest, so many of the doorstops on the market are just plain hideous. There is a disturbing preponderance of fluffy animals (why so many hedgehogs? No, seriously, can anyone tell me what the link is between doors and hedgehogs?). If you don't want a 'cute critter', you have a choice of truly depressing 'fun' doorstops in the shape of shoes, banana skins, pieces of cheese, I could go on. What is it about 'fun' things for the home that makes me want to slash my wrists? I mean, what sane, grown-up human being wants it to appear that they have wedged their door open with a slice of cheese?

The solution I came up with is far more stylish and budget-friendly. Take a medium to large jar, preferably a pretty one. If you're anything like me you'll probably have a cupboard full of these waiting in vain to be filled with jam or used as makeshift flower vases. Kilner jars always have a certain charm, or empty Bonne Maman compote jars. Then fill your jar with marbles (these are the ones my brother and I used to play with as children). Et voila! A stylish doorstop from re-used materials that adds a touch of fun without the wrist-slashing. Hurrah!

p.s. When is a door not a door? When it's ajar (with a jar). Groan...

No comments:

Post a Comment