Friday, 27 November 2009

Crafty business

Now I know that some people still associate crafts with old ladies making hideous macrame objects with all the aesthetic appeal of lumpy porridge. So, just in case you have been living in a hole for the past few years, here is a quick newsflash: CRAFTS ARE NOW COOL.

Seriously, Madonna, SJP and Sienna have all joined the celebrity knitting craze, Kirstie Allsopp's Homemade Christmas is coming soon on Channel 4 (bated breath does not begin to cover it) and Jordan has taken up crochet.*

If any more proof were needed, the Kirstie Allsopp of East Sussex (aka my impeccably stylish friend and downstairs neighbour, Anna), hosted a craft night on Wednesday. She provided mince pies, mulled wine, paper, glue and sparkly things and we stuck and stitched and bitched to our hearts' contents.

Anna made this marvellous wreath, which now takes pride of place on our front door:



I cut out bits of fabric and stuck shiny bits on them to make some Christmas cards...



...as well as this, um, *interesting* objet: the love child of a wreath and a mobile, to decorate the door to my flat:



But all pale into insignificance beside the exquisite cards made by Anna's mum, Lark.** Will you just look at the loveliness of these things? If I were sent one I would, without a doubt, frame it and put it on the wall:



The big news of the day is that I am going to be on telly tonight, talking about my humble freecycled flat. It's called Throwaway Future and is on ITV1 at 8pm. I will be watching from behind the (freecycled) sofa, as I fear I may sound a little flustered and silly...

* actually, I made that last one up, but she must do something to while away those hours in the jungle.
** Yes that is her real name. How great is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment