Monday, 23 November 2009

Dum dum de dum

One last item for you from the V&A swish: it's... well it's a wedding dress.

Now, let's just get this straight from the get-go: I am more than overjoyed for all my lovely married friends, and I must admit that I do love a good wedding (such as Alex's last month, which I blubbed all the way through - it was the poems that did it. OMG the poems). HOWEVER - and this is an entirely personal feeling - I'm not at all ready to buy into an institution with more baggage than Victoria Beckham on a round-the-world trip just yet.



The wonderful India Knight describes white-dress-syndrome with devastating succinctness: 'here is my virgin daughter, she is yours now.'*

Oh no she isn't. 

So. I refuse to go weak at the knees at the first glimpse of beaded silk georgette... really I do... even if it does have the most exquisite pintuck-seamed panels... and just *happens* to fit me perfectly...

Cynical old spinster that I am, my original plan was to dye it. I was thinking grey. But I *might* just keep it for dressing up. At least for a while... Oh, come on: show me a girl who can resist playing dress-up in white chiffon and I'll show you a better feminist than I am, Gunga Din.

*I paraphrase for want of my own copy of her genius book, The Shops. Go and read it. Or even better read The Thrift Book, also by IK, also genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment