Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Bag lust: Anya Hindmarch

Okay, so I have the credit card companies phoning night and day, the university threatening to withhold my degree until I pay my fees and nothing, but nothing, in the coffers. Just what is a girl to do? Why tighten her belt and give up thinking about fashion, of course. Really? NO! This is the time for dreams and fantasies, and where better to indulge these than the website of Anya Hindmarch, designer of some of the world's most beautiful handbags.

Here are a few of my top picks: what academic wouldn't wish to trip home from the library carrying this stylish Homework Tote?



If and when I am in a position to buy the kind of investment bag that I will pass on to my granddaughters, it may well resemble the Anya Hindmarch Carker in black mock crock:



The object of my deepest desires, though, is the Coco clutch, which showcases the kind of gorgeous art deco detailing for which AH is famous. This is billed as an evening bag, but I think it would be equally good for daytime:



And yes, I *can* hear the shouts of indignation: 'BUT IT'S NEARLY £300!!!' Yes. I know. Anya Hindmarch bags are certainly not thrifty, but, as far as designer handbags go, they are relatively ethical. Anya started the trend for stylish shopping bags - remember 'I am not a plastic bag'? What's more, unlike most designers, she is completely opposed to the notion of the 'it' bag that is only fashionable for a season.

She's even opened a whole shop devoted to producing bespoke pieces, which can be personalised and embossed and kept for ever. I love the practical nostalgia of this approach, which is almost a return to the way our grandparents lived (albeit on a much less glamourous scale), in the days when you wouldn't dream of replacing a good handbag until it was worn out, and when style was more important than fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment