Friday, 8 January 2010

Heirloom fashion: Auntie Marjorie's scarf

One of my favourite Christmas presents this year wasn't strictly a Christmas present at all. It's this cashmere scarf, which belonged to my late Great Auntie Marjorie and which was passed down to me by my mum:



I find its buttermilk colour and soft cosiness infinitely comforting and quite perfect for snuggling up in during this arctic weather. It's not actually something I would have chosen for myself, but I love it because it reminds me of my Auntie Marjorie, who was quite a character in her time.  Here she is in 1931:


Isn't this outfit just fabulous? Note to self: must lay my hands on some satin hareem pants asap. And those upper-arm bangles: so inspirational. Do you have any 'heirloom' pieces that you treasure because of their history, family or otherwise?

Being less than youthful, however, the scarf has a couple of marks (which I suspect are hot chocolate stains). I'm too scared to subject it to stain remover, so if anyone has any tried and tested tips for cleaning cashmere, please let me know.

The other thing I am deeply excited about is tomorrow's International Day of Swishing flagship event in London. The only cloud on the horizon is a snowy one, as the British Isles currently look like a Christmas cake iced by a deranged patissier:*



Madame la Moue and I will do (almost) anything for free clothes and cocktails, though, including battling through blizzard and snowdrift. So if you're up for a challenge too, I'll see you there. Now where did I put those crampons...?

* This jaw-dropping photograph was taken by a Nasa satellite on 7th January 2010. Via BBC News.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    you might like this blog - the male version of Paper Flowers:
    http://beingmanly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks for the tip - great name! I'm still trying to work out what the male version of PF might be like...!

    Cockatrice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your auntie Marjorie looks amazing! Tell us more about her. Must scan a photograph of my Grandmother (never knew her, died tragically young) who was making a bit of money on the side modelling hats. Utterly gorgeous.
    Mrs Loske-Page

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was - maybe I should start an 'Auntie Marjorie's style' series... Would love to see your Grandmother in those hats x

    ReplyDelete