Thursday, 29 April 2010

Spring soup: asparagus

It's here: English asparagus is on our shelves in bundles and boxes and bouquets. Hurrah!

Yes, I know it's nigh on sacrilege to turn the first spears of the season into soup, but I am positively craving soups at the moment - so comforting not to have to chew. Anyway, as I intend virtually to live on the green stuff from now until the the end of June, there will be plenty of opportunities for eating them en entier over the coming months.

Asparagus soup:

200g asparagus
Half a medium leek, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
Olive oil
Cream or soya cream
Vegetable stock
Salt and pepper

Fry the leeks and garlic in olive oil until softened and transparent. Meanwhile, cut the asparagus into inch-long pieces. Put the stalk pieces into boiling water, then after two or three minutes, add the tips. After another couple of minutes, check to see whether they are tender, and when they are, drain and reserve the tips. Add the asparagus stalks to the leeks and garlic along with the stock. Liquidise well and stir in a dollop of cream. Season with salt and/or pepper to taste

To serve, sprinkle the asparagus tips on top of the soup. I added a drizzle of olive oil too, but to be honest I was only being pretentious for the photo.

Oops, have just remembered I promised drawings today. Will get scanning as soon as I can summon the energy to leave my bed, I promise... zzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment