Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Dress dilemma

I have fallen in love again. But this time it's with a dress...

I have been looking for something to wear to the wedding of one of my oldest friends in two weekends time. It has to be drop dead gorgeous as 1. I am doing a reading so everyone will be looking at me for at least two minutes and 2. weddings of schoolfriends are a bit like school reunions: fertile ground for comparisons and one-upmanship.

Could it be because you all started out from exactly the same point that comparisons like who's more successful/richer/thinner or has better looking partners/children/clothes are SO tempting? And I don't just mean in the bitchy 'She's put on a few pounds' whispered-from-behind-the-hand way either. I mean in the must-look-half-decent-so-do-not-return-home-with-sole-desire-of-slashing-own-wrists way.

SO. Today I thought I had found a solution in the form of this nude/pink, silk ruffled number from Warehouse, reduced to £45:


This ticks all the boxes in that it is smart, sexy and just a little bit boho/vintage-esque. I ADORE IT. There's only one problem: no size tens left in the entire country...

As always happens when I am happy/in love, I have had a healthy (ahem) appetite recently and have managed to go up from a size 8 to a size 10. At least, I have in Warehouse sizes anyway (could someone please tell me that WH are notoriously small sizers generally only worn by supermodels and heroin addicts?).

So here is the dilemma, do I: 1. Order it in an 8 and not breathe or eat for the entire wedding? 2. Spend the next week and a half crash dieting? Or 3. Spend the next week and a half looking for something similar which will inevitably not be as nice, then spend the whole wedding wishing I had bought the first one?

Advice please.

Edit: Have just realised that strictly speaking this is probably a trilemma, but am not certain whether this is an actual thing or not...

7 comments:

  1. How bad does the 8 look? Does it actually hurt? I would diet for the next week and a half if I were you. Or go to that curry house and has that wonderful rice that makes you lose weight really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking of reunions with school friends I have one in a couple of weeks with friends from PRIMARY school.(They were the IT girls and I imagine are both still thin and gorgeous). At the moment I am more than a stone over weight and have mullet. Think yourself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it doesn't actually HURT... It's more an effect of cling-filmed lumpiness around the waist and bust, as opposed to skimming over perfectly-toned contours as you see on the model.

    Ya, there is always the food-poisoning diet, I suppose. Or perhaps I could get ask NR to dump me and go on the heartbreak diet...

    What are you going to wear to your reunion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be going to London tomorrow. Shall I have a look at WH shops there? A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, bless you! I have a secret plan to phone up WH HQ, so may give you a ring if I need you to go on a mission! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. I will be in the British Library, but going via the CHaring Cross area. There must be a Warehouse round there. Mobile number in FB message. x

    ReplyDelete